We use our teeth every single day, from biting, to eating, to speaking. We often take our teeth for granted. We may not realize just how vital they are to our health and our appearance or the overall impact teeth have on our bodies.
6 Surprising Facts About Our Teeth
1. A cavity is one of the few things the body can’t heal. A cavity just gets larger with time, unless a dentist removes the decay and places a filling.
2. Diet soda and sports drinks can be just as tough on teeth as regular soda…both contain acid. Acid attacks the enamel surface of your teeth and can lead to cavities. People who drink 3 or more glasses of soda each day have 62% more tooth decay, fillings, and tooth loss than those who keep their soda drinking to a minimum.
3. If you don’t floss, you miss cleaning 40% of your tooth surfaces.
a third of each tooth is underneath your gums. This is why keeping your gums healthy is as important as making sure your teeth are well cared for.
5. A tooth can grow in upside down, sideways, and backwards.
6. Your teeth are like your fingerprint…they are uniquely yours. Even identical twins don’t have identical teeth.
We rely on our teeth daily to help us eat. Knowing a little more about them and how our behaviors affect our dental health can help us take better care of our teeth and keep us smiling long into the future.
From crowding to spacing, from overbites to underbites, our team in St. Charles, IL, is pleased to have the opportunity to provide families with the highest quality orthodontic care using the latest technology. We are proud of the relationships we build with our patients and our focus on finding the orthodontic solutions that are right for your family.