Orthodontic treatment involves the movement of biological material, which if not done correctly could lead to potentially irreversible and expensive damage such as tooth and gum loss, changed bites, and other issues.
Orthodontic treatment is a major medical procedure. This is precisely why orthodontists require extensive training and education before they can begin performing treatments. Proper orthodontic treatment must include:
- X-rays of your teeth and jaws
- Clinical examination of your jaw alignment, teeth, bite, and relationship of your teeth to your bone structures
- Digital scans and/or impressions of your teeth
- Multiple available treatment options explained by a licensed professional who can provide the best recommended course of treatment for you
- Regular, in-person consultations to evaluate the progress of your treatment and make any necessary adjustments
- Access to a licensed professional who can help immediately if you have an issue or emergency during your treatment
Remember…orthodontic treatment is not a product or device. Orthodontic treatment is a professional, medical service. When your care is personally supervised by an orthodontist who is a member of the American Association of Orthodontists, you are assured that your orthodontist spent years in a post-doctoral residency program focused on providing orthodontic treatment to patients.
If you are thinking about ordering aligners online without seeing a licensed orthodontist first, we strongly encourage you to schedule a free orthodontic consultation with Kelly Orthodontics before clicking that buy button. Dr. Kelly and his team sincerely care about your smile and will take the time to discuss the pros and cons of all your treatment options with you.